Wednesday, December 14, 2011

SAR's "BOBBA" is adopted!

Hi Raphaele,

Is Bubba's name spelled "Bubba" or "Bobba"? The website says Bobba, but I always pronounce it Bubba. I want to get him a new name tag with my phone number on it for his collar. Even though he better never escape again!!!


If I didn't already tell you this, I had decided to save 3 of Popeye's toys to finally rest in his Popeye "treat" jar with his ashes. 1. His famous Flea 2. His blue boot 3. The chicken you gave him on that Friday when you came over, because that was the last toy that Popeye carried with him.
Until last night I hadn't yet opened the box from Dr. Galea with Popeye's ashes to be able to put them into the jar. I hadn't had the nerve.

Here's what happened last night: Because I hadn't opened the box of ashes yet I also hadn't put the toys in Popeye's jar.. The 3 toys had been on top of the crate. Believe it or not Bobba had not moved them. Then last night I was washing dishes, looked up, & saw Bobba playing with Popeye's Flea. Of course, I burst into tears. I took the Flea & gave Bobba the other toy he has been playing with every night, brought the Flea & the boot & the chicken to Popeye's treat jar where I wanted to put the toys & the ashes. I opened the box from Dr. Galea. The plastic bag is labeled "Popeye", and it looks more like sand to me. The plastic bag, the Flea, & the boot all fit in Popeye's jar. The chicken didn't fit, so I put the chicken on top of the jar.

During all this of course I was crying. Bobba sat next to me & watched. I gave him different toys but he didn't want them. He just stared at me. When I walked away from Popeye's paraphenalia & tried to play with Bobba with another toy, he went back into the kitchen, sat down, stared at the chicken on top of Popeye's jar, & cried. I called Bobba over to the living room & tried playing with him again. He did the same thing- went to the kitchen, sat, stared at the chicken & Popeye's jar, & cried. Now I was crying not only because of Popeye but because if Popeye were here he would have gladly shared his Flea, chicken, or any other toy with Bobba (he never minded when we were walking & another dog took his toy out of his mouth), but I couldn't bear to let his Flea go to any dog except for Popeye. So I gave Bobba the chicken toy. HE LOVES THE CHICKEN TOY & WON'T STOP PLAYING WITH IT! Its almost as if Popeye left it for Bobba.
Bobba played with the chicken toy until we went to sleep. When he got up this morning, he started playing with the chicken. He has never played in the early morning hours before. Usually he plays with & chews toys after dinner only. Today he spent the morning playing with the chicken until I left for work. I know Popeye would want Bobba to play & have fun, and now my heart knows that he is leaving his legacy in another way, through his toys.

I hope you don't mind that Bobba is playing with the chicken you brought for Popeye. My heart knows that Popeye will always watch over all of us.